Malama Solomon was chosen by Governor Neil Abercrombie in December 2010 to represent Hawaii's Senate District 1 on the 2011 Hawaii State Legislature. District 1's elected Senator Dwight Takamine was appointed by Governor Neil Abercrombie to serve as director of the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations. District 1 includes the areas of Hamakua and South Hilo on the island of Hawaii.
- served in the state Senate from 1983 to 1998
- trustee for the Office of Hawaiian Affairs from 1980 to 1982
- lieutenant governor candidate on the 2006 Democratic ticket with Randy Iwase that lost to Linda Lingle
- former University of Hawaii-Hilo affiliate professor and a Hawaiian studies teacher.
- Senator Malama Solomon (Hawaii State Legislature)
- Yuen, Mike. Joint chair system doesn’t work, senators say, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, June 4, 1997.
- 3,000 swarm Capitol to support econ plan excise-tax hike -- Business and labor both show they're backing the revitalization plan, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 7, 1998.
- By Rod Thompson, Gary T. Kubota and Trish Moore. Neighbor isle races up for grabs -- Prominent unions feel Sen. Malama Solomon of theBig Island 'has lost touch with the community', Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 16, 1998.
- Borreca, Richard. Former senator to run for lieutenant governor, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, July 19, 2006.
- Dayton, Kevin. Candidates for No. 2 job known for their activism, Honolulu Advertiser, September 15, 2006.
- Reyes, B.J. Abercrombie names Shimabukuro, Solomon to Senate openings, Star-Advertiser, Dec 21, 2010.
- Associated Press. Senator proposes study of Hawaii joining a multistate lottery, Star-Advertiser, January 20, 2011.
- Koga, Dave. Betting lottery? -- A raft of gambling bills in Hawaii's Legislature inspires a glance at how state lotteries are faring in other areas, Star-Advertiser, February 20, 2011.